Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
I have chosen to use eye of round steak for the beef in this recipe because it tends to be tender, but you can use any type of beef you would like. This is a very simple and quick recipe, but when I have time I like to simmer the beef for about an hour to make it even more tender.
1/4 cup soy sauce, divided
2 tbsp. cornstarch, divided
2 tsp. minced gingerroot
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 (8 oz.) eye of round steak
1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen broccoli, thawed
1 cup water
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, cut in wedges
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon cornstarch and mix well until cornstarch is dissolved. Add the gingerroot, granulated sugar and garlic and mix well.
2. Slice the steak. I like thin slices for my stir fry, but you can cut the steak however you want. Add the beef to the soy sauce mixture and coat the beef well. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. Cut the large pieces of broccoli in smaller pieces and slice the stems.
4. In a small bowl, combine the remaining soy sauce, remaining cornstarch and water and mix until cornstarch is dissolved.
5. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on high heat. Stir fry the steak for 1-2 minutes. Transfer the beef to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet. Stir fry the broccoli and onion for 5 minutes. Vegetables should be crisp tender.
6. Stir the steak and soy sauce mixture into the vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. I like to lightly simmer the beef for about an hour to tenderize the steak.
7. Serve the stir fry over rice.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes